Centro de Intercambio y Solidaridad
- Published: 10 December 2015
- Hits: 315
Sign up for CIS special Spanish and Violence Prevention School –
May 1 – May 29th, 2016
1. Learn Spanish in the context of the social and economic reality in El Salvador.
2. Develop a report with an analysis of the reality, the impact of solidarity and community organization in violence prevention and make recommendations for further solidarity.
3. Accompany communities struggling with violence and share your own knowledge or experiences.
Spanish Classes:Learn Spanish with popular education methodology from 8 a.m – noon, Monday through Friday.
Cost for participation in four week program:
$1,410 in country program includes Payable to Los Olivos CIS, PO Box 76, Westmont, IL 60559:
- Housing with Salvadoran Family includes breakfast and dinner
- 4 week intensive Spanish course Monday through Friday, 8 a.m – 12 noon.
- Violence Prevention Program – program, guides, transportation.
- Administrative Fee.
- Published: 30 November 2015
- Hits: 581
Come to El Salvador and help the Romero Community build their homes!
Arrival date: Jan 11th, 2016. Departure date: Jan 19th, 2016
1. Accompany the community in constructing dignified homes and building their community.
2. Learn firsthand about the reality of El Salvador
3. Build solidarity to overcome social and economic inequality.
Who should come?
1. People who want to do hard work, builders and non-builders alike who can carry out skilled and unskilled labor.
2. People who cannot do hard work in the hot sun, but would like to work with young people or other community tasks. You can contribute by bringing literature in Spanish, art supplies, games, jump ropes, softball equipment, teaching materials for basic English, etc.
People will live in the community and have a few nights at a guest house in San Salvador. You should bring hats to keep the sun off your face, water bottles, sheets, and plan on roughing it a bit. There will be mattresses and hammocks available for people to sleep on in the community. A translator and guide will be with the group to help facilitate organization and communication for those who do not speak Spanish.
Costs: $600 will cover all in country expenses: food, meals, housing, internal transportation to and from the airport, and to and from the community and around San Salvador, translator and guide. The mattress you use will be donated to the community afterward.
Payments: Checks should be made payable to Los Olivos CIS and mailed to PO Box 76, Westmont, IL 60559.
Travel: Make your flight arrival on Monday, January 11. The work brigade officially ends on January 19th, but if you would like to stay on, you will be on your own from that point on. We can help you arrange to pay any additional costs which will be at a minimum.
or download the application form directly here.
- Published: 29 September 2015
- Hits: 2586
Click here to see the 2015 Holiday Catalog!
- Published: 21 July 2015
- Hits: 1452
Check out the video made at our 6th Youth Forum by our scholarship students!
(English subtitles available when you click the button on the bottom right!)